Photo Credit: Sam Parks
WildEarth Guardians jobs – come work for us!
Current Job Openings
Work Level: Full-Time Exempt
Location: Santa Fe, NM; Denver, CO; Missoula, MT; Portland, OR
The American West with its millions of acres of public lands, incredible diversity of ecosystems, and vibrant healthy communities needs dedicated attorneys to protect it. At a time when so much of what we value is in peril, WildEarth Guardians seeks a dynamic and motivated public interest-focused attorney with at least five years of litigation or equivalent experience to join our team as a staff attorney. As part of the Guardians’ Litigation Team, the Staff Attorney will litigate cases for Guardians’ Wildlife program—with a secondary litigation focus on the Wild Places program. This is a litigation position on Guardians’ Litigation Team.
- Litigate cases primarily in federal court, but also potentially in state court and at the administrative level, pursuant to laws governing management and resource protection on public lands, the National Environmental Policy Act, the Endangered Species Act, and other environmental and land use laws.
- Develop and maintain relationships with outside counsel representing Guardians and work cooperatively as co-counsel with outside counsel.
- Evaluate litigation proposals from programs by conducting factual and legal research as needed in furtherance of such evaluation.
- Manage and mentor legal interns and contract legal assistance when appropriate.
- Willingness to travel around the United States for case-related matters. Guardians litigates in multiple western states including Colorado, New Mexico, Oregon, and Montana, as well as in the District of Columbia.
- Bar membership in at least one western state or District of Columbia
- Minimum of 5 years experience in litigation or a combination of litigation-adjacent experience such as administrative appeals/advocacy, record review, commenting on agency actions. Environmental and natural resources experience preferred.
- Ability to handle a busy litigation docket
- Solid skills in organization, writing, research, analysis, and oral advocacy
- Passion for protecting the American West
- Capacity to embrace conflict and cooperate without compromising Guardians’ values
- Emotional maturity and self-awareness
- Willingness to take calculated risks
- Integrity, kindness, and sense of humor
- Commitment to justice, diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Proven ability to work independently as well as collaboratively
Compensation and Benefits:
Guardians offers a competitive salary and benefits package, including full health and dental insurance, retirement benefits, paid vacation, health and family leave, a sabbatical policy, paid holidays, disability insurance, and a fabulous work environment that accommodates a flexible work schedule. Salary negotiable based on experience.
As an advocate for the health of the natural world, WildEarth Guardians affirms biodiversity, ecological unity, and the interdependence of all life. We highly value diverse perspectives and experiences. We are committed to advancing diversity, equity and inclusion, both within our organization and externally. WildEarth Guardians is an equal opportunity employer and actively strives to ensure fair and equal treatment of its employees and constituents regardless of differences based on culture, socioeconomic status, race, marital or family situation, gender, age, ethnicity, religious beliefs, physical ability, or sexual orientation.
Please submit applications electronically to: email@example.com. The hiring committee will begin reviewing applications on April 15, 2019, and the position will remain open until filled. No phone calls or in-person visits, please.
Applications should include, in a single pdf, the following: cover letter explaining (1) why you want to work for Guardians in general, and specifically on the Litigation Team, (2) your experience litigating ESA cases and other cases under various public lands statutes, and (3) your preferred office location; resume; one legal writing sample that is predominantly your work; and contact and relationship information for three professional references.
Social Media Volunteer
Work Level: Volunteer
Position length: Minimum four months, maximum TBD
WildEarth Guardians protects and restores the wildlife, wild places, wild rivers, and health of the American West. We’re looking for a social media volunteer to help us get the word out about our work over Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
- Monitoring Guardians’ Twitter presence and retweeting staff content each day.
- Reposting staff posts to Guardians’ main Instagram account.
- Posting unique content to Facebook and Twitter daily.
- Drafting social media posts for Guardians press releases, action alerts, and other emails.
- Responding to staff requests to post items to social media.
- Available 5-6+ hours/week
- Comfortable with working in Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram
- Familiarity with Sprout Social a huge plus (training available)
- Good grasp of English language and grammar
- Enthusiasm about social media and Guardians’ mission
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org a paragraph including:
- Your knowledge of and experience with Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram
- Your availability
- Why you are interested in this position
- The handles of any social media accounts you currently oversee and want us to take into consideration [note: you do not have to submit your personal social accounts unless you choose to do so.]
This position will remain open until filled.